Friday, December 13, 2013

What is advent?

So, maybe it's just me but I am about to admit something kind of silly to you all- I don't know what Advent means. Well, at least, I didn't until this morning.

This is my 25th Christmas living on this big beautiful earth and up until now I associated the word "advent" with one thing: candy. It's funny how as you get older you realize how long you've been living without knowing something so very simple.

So, anyway, my lovely friend google and his (her?) wealth of knowledge this morning gave me this simple definition:

ad·vent
ˈadˌvent/
noun
noun: advent; plural noun: advents
1.
the arrival of a notable person, thing, or event.


OK, so that makes sense, obviously, why we have  "advent" calendars and a countdown. I know, simple connections could have got me there, but hey- bear with me (I googled that saying, too, to make sure I used the right "bear"-just keepin it real...)


When I read this I obviously considered the importance in MY life of Advent and it being a celebration and countdown to the arrival of baby Jesus-how the arrival of that little tiny baby in a manger changed our entire world. 



Arrival. I have had two specific arrivals in the last three years that have changed my world. These, of course, being Sadie Quinn and Haden Carter. Changed, rocked, and turned my world upside down



I began to think about the advent season of waiting for my precious babies- the nervousness, the excitement, the anticipation- but mainly, just a sense of complete wonder and awe. Pregnancy and the anticipation of a child is an exciting and amazing time. You know your life is about to change and God gives us almost the perfect amount of time to prepare mentally, physically, and emotionally for that. I always thought that was beautiful and a great example of how He always knows our every need. 



The arrival of Baby Jesus was no different. His birth was eagerly anticipated by many and of course his birth would turn our world upside down. 



I used to think that celebrating "Jesus's birthday" was just that one day in December- often overshadowed by other Christmas traditions. I'm taking a different approach this year. I'm taking the opportunity to celebrate his arrival through the Advent season. (Oh by the way, I just decided this after googling this morning, so you are welcome to join me too!) 



What would Jesus like for the celebration of His birthday? Well, I believe He would love nothing more than to see us show His love to our community in any way we can. 



I'm on a journey this Advent to figure out exactly what that means for ME. 



Stay tuned for a few more posts on things I'm learning this Advent season. 



How do you celebrate the anticipation of Jesus' arrival? What does Advent mean to you?






No comments:

Post a Comment