Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Comparisons


Comparison is the killer of joy. 

Those six words spoke volumes to me when I saw them pinned on the pinterest home page. Who knew what level of impact such words could have, splashed with color and decorated with some flowers to make it look visually attractive, but I didnt need a pretty picture to let those words sink in. 

I compare myself daily. Am I as good as her? Can I cook like her? Can I keep up my house like her? Am I patient and kind with my children like her?

And then it even got more dangerous. I started to compare my marriage. My family. My entire life. 

It is a deep, deep ocean and the more you think, the farther you plunge into an ice cold water that offers no warmth. 

How many times have I stolen my own joy? How many precious moments have a robbed myself because I chose to focus on what someone else excelled at?

We all deal with this, but I think as mothers it can be crippling. Pinterest perfect is impossible. So why do we strive for something we know will only end in mental defeat?

I try to be honest and real in my life, in hopes that I would never make someone else feel inaduquate. Here's the thing: I'm good at documenting my kids lives. I know that. I enjoy taking pictures, and videos, and blogging. But just as I'm good in certain areas, I lack in others. I don't plan my meals out weeks in advanced and truth be told we probably order out much more than we ever should. I struggle with keeping on top of my house and likely if you came over unnannouned you'd see a pile of laundry high on my dining room table and dishes in my sink.

But you know what? That's ok. I live my life. I pursue my passions and cultivate my gifts.  I show my family love and at the end of the day I go to bed fulfilled. Not stress or worry free- no, that is a goal that often seems unattainable but I continue towards it. However, I know with each day that I've focused on the areas of life that bring me joy and lived to the best of my ability.

We all have strengths and weaknesses. Each day is new and comes with many choices to where you will focus your time.

I don't need to compare myself to anyone else. I am me and I am perfect how I am. 

So today I will focus on that which I excel, I will celebrate in the gifts that make me come alive, and I will leave the comparisons behind. 


No comments:

Post a Comment