Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Little Givers

Sidenote before I begin: I'm struggling with this post because I so desperately want to share it, for many reasons. However, one of those reasons does not include to show you all how amazingly wonderful I am. I could combat this several ways: I could make you out a fresh, long list of all the things I did wrong this week. All the ways I struggled, all the jerk-like things I said to people, all the icky thoughts I thought inside my head. But alas, I'm just not sure that would be very beneficial to anyone, and certainly I don't believe it would be very beneficial to myself. So I'm hoping, praying, and trusting that you, the reader, will understand my motivations behind this post. I hope to inspire and share this holiday season so we can all heal the world, bit by tiny little bit. And that's simply really all there is to it.

Growing up, I remember faint memories of lessons learned on giving. My dad, who always struggled tremendously financially, was a great giver regardless (at least from my little perception at a young age). I remember watching him hand small amounts of cash to those in need on many occasions. It was such a small and simple moment- and I'm sure one that he probably didnt think would impact me in my life. There were other moments too, of course, but as I began to reflect on what in my life has encouraged a giving heart, those first few memories of him come to mind. 

So, ever since I dreamed of having babies and raising my little family, I envisioned ways in which to instill in their tiny little hearts a passion to give. I visulaized our perfect little family, serving soup at the shelter to those in need. Of course, here I am, 2.5 years into my parenthood and taking my two young children to a shelter to serve soup sounds like a great scenario for a hilarious episode on a tv sitcom. Needless to say, I've found myself during the advent season with a hope to ignite a little fire in my young children's hearts for others in need, but what that looks like in practical terms is still under construction. Of course I recognize, as it was for me, that the most important thing I can do for my children is to lead by example. I know that, and am working on developing this. But I'd hope to take a step above that this year, as I do believe Haden is coming to an age where he has begun to understand these things. 

The other day, I gathered a few toys that we were ready to find a new home for. When Haden saw the toys, I tried explaining to him that some kids didn't have any toys. I asked him if he'd like to share his toys with them. Of course, I'm not quite sure how much he understood, but he did say yes. As we drove to the local donation center, I continued to explain to him what was happening. I told him a man would meet us there to take the toys to the kids who might not have any. When we got there, I got him out and handed him the toy on top- a stuffed duck. He walked with me up to the man, and eagerly handed the duck over to him. As we drove away, he yelled "Bye duck!"

I'm still not sure how much he understood. I really have no idea. But I walked away excited that it went smoothly, and happy we did it. It made me start to think and ponder on even more ways to get young kids involved in giving.
I'd love to hear your thoughts on ways you've incorporated giving with young children. If you'd like, you can e-mail me some ideas and maybe I will post an idea blog in the next few weeks:

kellenandnicole@gmail.com


No comments:

Post a Comment